The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Unlike other Queensland schools, the Queensland Academies offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme as the only curriculum offering to students. Students commence at the Academies at the beginning of Year 10 for an immersion IB preparation program. The IB Diploma Programme, studied in Years 11 and 12 has the strengths of a traditional curriculum, but with three important additional features including the Extended Essay (EE), Theory of Knowledge (ToK) and Creativity Action and Service (CAS).
Students of the IB Diploma Programme must study a subject from each of the six academic areas or subject groups surrounding a core of requirements. Students are thereby exposed to the two great traditions of learning: the humanities and the sciences.
Key features of the IB Diploma Programme
- High quality curriculum with breadth, depth and balance
- Curriculum flexibility allowing students to accelerate studies and re-sit examinations
- Student centred philosophy that is focussed on preparation for life by encouraging social responsibility, critical thinking, and international awareness
- The quality assurance requirements of the International Baccalaureate Organisation ensure high standards are maintained
- Externally marked and moderated examinations allow results to be compared on an international level (no limit to number of students who can attain a perfect score)
- The focus on developing independent and self-directed learning prepares students for the demands of university study. Research conducted by the International Baccalaureate Organisation indicates that IB graduates are significantly more likely to be successful at university
- The IB Diploma is truly an international qualification as graduates regularly gain admission to some of the best known universities in the world (universities have adopted a range of processes for IB graduate entry including: full scholarships, second year entry credit for IB subjects studied and automatic entry)
To be eligible for the award of the IB Diploma, students are required to:
- Study six academic subjects, one from each of the groups represented by the circle pictured right (exceptions for group 6 apply);
- Complete at least three (and not more than four) of these at the Higher Level and the remainder at the Standard Level;
- Satisfactorily complete the following additional core requirements:
- Theory of Knowledge (ToK)
- Extended Essay (EE)
- Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS)
Subjects offered at Science Mathematics & Technology
Please refer to the Queensland Academies Campus subject offerings page for details.