We are pleased to announce that the Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology is one of the winning schools in the 2018 Outstanding School STEM Award category in the Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education Awards. The awards recognise students, teachers, support officers, schools and education partners (volunteers, mentors and organisations) who demonstrate an outstanding and innovative contribution to STEM education in Queensland.
The awards are named after Professor Peter Doherty, a Brisbane-born Nobel Prize winning scientist who was educated at Indooroopilly State High School and the University of Queensland.
In 2015, the renowned Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in Science and Science Education expanded and the awards became the Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education. This acknowledges STEM education as a strategic priority for the Department of Education.
The winners were announced by the Minister for Education 10 August 2018.
The awards categories are:
- Outstanding Senior STEM Student Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Senior STEM Student Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding Teacher of STEM Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding STEM Support Officer Awards – $5,000 each
- STEM Education Partnership Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding School STEM Awards – $5,000 each.