The Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology is committed to facilitating happy and supportive homestay arrangements for students requiring accommodation. It is however, the responsibility of the parent requesting the homestay to meet financial commitment of this service. Financial assistance is available to families living in rural and remote areas of Queensland - see information on the Isolated Students Bursary details below.
We firmly believe that our families who are aware of the needs of bright students and the rigours of the IB Diploma Programme are most suited to provide this homestay service.
The Queensland Government enforces stringent homestay standards, ensuring high quality accommodation is arranged with convenient access to the Academy and that all homestay providers undergo orientation, training and police checks. For further details please visit the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian website.
We have always aimed to provide students and host families the very best in homestay experiences.
There are two hosting options available:
- 7-night homestay week, and
- 5-night homestay week.
If you are interested in securing a homestay placement or providing homestay for a student, please contact the Admissions office on (07) 3377 9366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queensland Academies Isolated Students (QAIS) Bursary
We are committed to supporting rural and remote students.
The Queensland Academies Isolated Student Bursary supports highly capable students from rural and remote areas who are not eligible for the Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme (LAFHAS) to access financial support for travel and accommodation whilst attending the Academies.
To be eligible for the Bursary, all of the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The student is not eligible to receive assistance through the Living Away From Home Allowances Scheme (LAFHAS).
- The home address of the student must be in Queensland.
- The nearest Queensland Government school with the appropriate year level to the student's family home is located in a Rural or Remote Education Zone.
- The Queensland Academy student attends is at least 3 hours traveling time per day from their home address using the school transport or public transport service.
- The student's conduct, progress and attendance must be satisfactory.
For further information, please visit the Queensland Government QAIS Bursary page.
View the Homestay handbook (PDF, 2.5MB).